Simple highlights on Psychology careers in India including the jobs prospects and available opportunities in this career area. Psychology is a pretty old profession in India. It has been around for a very long time, and we don’t see it disappearing anytime soon. The profession furthermore happens to a highly sought out profession in India, and we felt it would be a good idea rendering some help. We understand there are a lot of people considering a career in psychology, but would like to know if it’s safe or not. And if you’re one of these people, be rest assured we’d provide you with every information you need.
Talking about the structure of this article, we’d first be discussing how much of opportunities are available under this profession. And after that, we’d be taking a look at the pay. So if you’re satisfied with the level of opportunities available as well as the pay, you can then proceed with reading how to go about becoming a psychologist. And next up, would be a discussion on some good institutions, where you can obtain a degree in psychology. We’d also go ahead to discuss how many years it’s going to take you to complete a psychology degree.
Psychology Careers In India
- Clinical Psychologist
- Counselling Psychologist
- Sports Psychologist
- Organizational and Industrial Pscyhology
- Social Work
- School Psychologist
- Educational Psychology
- Teaching And Research
- Health Psychologist
- Agency Counselling
- Community Counselling
As we have already stated, the first thing we’d be doing, is talking about the scope of psychology.
Psychology is a pretty old profession. It has been around for several decades, and we currently have a lot of people practising this profession. And in the nearest future, we don’t see this profession disappearing. So if there’s one point you should infer from this paragraph, it should be that: psychology is a very important profession. And not only is it important, it also happens to be in good demand.
Despite how important psychology is, this profession is far from being saturated. But while we can not explain why this is, we know that the salaries of psychologists are far from terrible. If you’re a person whose dream is to graduate, get a job, get married, have kids, and wait for death, then a degree in psychology can help you achieve that life. But for people who’d like to be one of the richest in the country, you might have to consider some other profession.
And for those who’d like to hear a quote of the average psychologist salary, this is about 29,400 INR.
How to become a psychologist
Becoming a psychologist is not difficult. However, this isn’t to mean that you can underestimate the profession. The profession wouldn’t be difficult for people who are baked for it? And who are those baked for it? Well, people who have the following attributes:
- Really love to think: Psychology is a profession that has a lot to do with thinking. It has to do with drawing out conclusion from data you’re able to gather. And to draw out meaningful conclusions, you’d have to think a lot. In other words, if you’re the kind of person who doesn’t really enjoy thinking, you may not be calm enough to do as much thinking as you’d need as a psychologist.
- Great patience:As a psychologist, you’d come across all sorts of people. Some of them would be kind, and some of them would be terrible. In other words, you might come across some patients who would give you a lot of trouble, and might even try to attack you verbally. But if you’re not a person who’s patient enough, you may not be able to remain collected enough, to help this kind of people.
- Compassion:Becoming a good psychologist is also a thing that requires great compassion. Lack of great compassion is the same as not caring about your patients sincerely. And if you don’t care about helping them sincerely, it would be difficult to carry out your job excellently.
So in short, if you lack any of the three attributes, you might have difficulty becoming a good psychologist. But for people who have these attributes, or think they develop these attributes, let’s proceed with the steps needed to become a psychologist.
1. Attend high school
Just like many other important professions, becoming a psychologist, requires high school education. Without it, there’s no way you can become a psychologist. And the reason for this, is that high school is where you get to learn the basic things needed as a psychologist. But considering the fact that a large percentage of Indians attend high school, we don’t feel this should be a problem.
2. Attend College
Upon completion of your high school education, the next thing to do, is to find a college to attend. While high school will equip you with the most basic knowledge, college would give you the other things you need to function as a psychologist. A college education is just as important as a high school education. And without it, you’d have a very hard time working as a psychologist.
Institutions To Study Psychology In India
There are a lot of higher institutions where you can study psychology, and some of them include:
- Shyama Prasad Mukherjee College, University of Delhi
- Bhim Rao Ambedkar College, University of Delhi
- Sophia College for Women, University of Mumbai
- Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce, Pune
- Lady Shree Ram College, University of Delhi
- DAV College, Panjab University, Chandigarh
- Zakir Hussain College, University of Delhi
- IP College for Women, University of Delhi
- MCM DAV, Panjab University, Chandigarh
- Sri Aurobindo College (Evening)
- Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi
- Ambedkar University, New Delhi
- Ambedkar University, New Delhi
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Ashoka University, Sonipat
Do I need a masters degree?
Just like many other professions, a masters degree can really be helpful. It’s however worthwhile stating that a college degree should be enough to earn you a good job. And as regards the time needed to obtain a BSc in this course, you’d spend about 3 to 4 years acquiring your BSc.
Tag: Careers In India