The architecture careers in India, are among of the best in the country. And if you’re considering taking this career path, you’ve come to the right place. India is a country with a very large economy. And one of the most popular things we do, is create structures. So with architects being the ones who design most of these structures, there are lots of architecture-related opportunities out there. And in this article, we’d be discussing everything you need to know about the profession.
For people who think the steps needed to become an architect is similar to those of most other courses, it really isn’t. There are some things different about the steps needed to become an architect. In other words, it is very important you don’t assume. You should rather take some minutes to finish up this content.
Architecture Careers In India
- Landscape Architect
- Urban Planner
- Restoration Architect
- Research Architect
- Lighting Architect
- Political Architect
- Extreme Architect
- Industrial Designer
- Architecture Photography
- Game Designer
- Production Designer
- Social Planner
When an entity [be it an individual, organization, or the government], wants to construct something, one of the people who get involved, in the most important aspects, are architects. An architect is responsible for design a thing that has to be created. And after the design, engineers can start to work on whatever was designed.
However, when it comes to a country like India, not just anyone is allowed to become an architect. To carry out architecture-related works in India, you first have to become an architect. But how do you become one? Well, here are the steps needed to be taken:
- Attend high school:Like many other professions, high school education is needed to become an architect. Without this education, you’d lack all the basic things needed to become an architect. In other words, you wouldn’t be able to carry out the other steps needed to become an architect. So if you haven’t completed your high school education, you have to complete high school with an excellent grade.
- Take an entrance examination:For some courses, after high school, the next thing is to proceed to a college. But when it comes to architecture, this isn’t the next step. Rather, a student aspiring to become an architect would have to take one of the special tests designed for people like them.
And among all tests that could be used to gain admission into colleges, the National Aptitude Test in Architecture [NATA], happens to be the most popular. In other words, this is probably the test you should also take.
Every year, a lot of students take this test, and only the top scorers are admitted into the architecture colleges available in the country. In other words, you have to be willing to study hard, if you want to get admitted into any of the architectural institutions in the country.
And as of the time of writing this article, the registration for this exam is ongoing. In other words, if you have completed high school and planning to proceed to an higher institution, then you should quickly get down to the registration website, and complete your registration.
To register for this exam, you’d have to provide a bunch of information. Information you’d have to provide, include:
- your full name;
- your father’s name;
- your mother’s name;
- your mobile number;
- your eMail address;
- your date of birth;
- a desired password;
- a desired security question;
- a corresponding answer to your security question;
- and a security code.
- Study architecture at a college:If you turn out to rank among the top scorers in the NATA exam you participated in, you’d be offered admission into an architecture university in India. And you’d have to spend about 5 years trying to obtain a BSc in the course. During your time at college, it is very important you put in your best, as this stage is a very important one.
Schools Offering Architecture In India
And for those who wonder what schools offer architecture, here are some of them:
- Government Engineering College, Trichur (School of Architecture)
- Government College of Architecture & Sculpture, Mamallapuram
- Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal
- National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli
- School of Planning and Architecture Vijayawada
- School of Planning & Architecture, New Delhi
- Government College of Architecture, Lucknow
- College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram
- National Institute of Technology, Calicut
- Sir JJ College of Architecture, Mumbai
- College of Engineering Visakhapatnam
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Panjab University (Chandigarh)
- BMS College of Architecture
- CEPT University, Ahmedabad
- Anna University (Chennai)
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Jadavpur University
- Manipal University
- NIMS University
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Roorkee
- BIT, Ranchi
- Request certification from the COA:The Council of Architecture is a body created by the Indian government, to regulate architecture in India. And for anyone to practice architecture in India, you’d need a certification from this organization. So for you to practice architecture in this country, you’d have to obtain your certification from this organization.
Once you receive a certification from the COA, you can then call yourself an architect, and start taking on opportunities available in the country.
Studying in a foreign school
While there are architecture schools in India, we would have people who are interested in studying at foreign schools. And if you’re one of such people, we’d like to state that this is possible. But it’s worthwhile stating that whatever foreign institution you’d be studying at, has to be recognized by the Council of Architecture. And here are some of the foreign schools recognized by the COA:
- Manchester School of Architecture
- University of Southern California
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- National University of Singapore
- University of British Columbia
- University of Technology Sydney
- Delft University of Technology
- University College Dublin
- University of Waterloo
- University of Auckland
- UC Berkeley
- University of New South Wales
- Tsinghua University
- University of Hong Kong
- University of Cambridge
- EPFL Switzerland
- Politecnico di Milano
- University of Sydney
- Columbia University
- RMIT University
- KTH Sweden
- University of Melbourne
- TU Munich
- University of Toronto
- Georgia Tech
- University of Tokyo
- McGill University
- University of Sheffield
- Cornell University
- ETH Zürich
- KU Leuven
Average salary of architects in India
As of the time of writing this article, the average salary of an architect is about $95,000 per annum. This amount of salary is enough to provide anyone a decent life.
- Psychology Careers In India – Jobs & Opportunities
- Biotechnology Careers In India – Jobs & Opportunities
Tag: Architecture Careers In India